Ben's Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2007

SPP2: Tutorial Task


So another one of our tasks for our regular tutorial sessions was to go along to Broadway [the digital arts/gallery/cinema/bar] and to look at their digital art and have an opinion on it. What I first thought would be very interesting turned out to be very plain.


I was expecting lots of different displays with lots of different installations but all that I got was half a dozen plasma tvs showcasing artists work.....did i miss something? was I too late?

However, I did come across a an interesting showcase on one of the TV's. This artist Jo Berry, seemed to use a lot of hand drawn objects put together in a type of stop-motion animation type of way. I found this interesting.

One the way out I thought I'd stop in the bar for a hot chocolate [been December it was rather cold!] and I came across a projection on the main wall of the bar. It has various lines of text, all in different styles and colours and moving at different speeds. The text shown was a variety of sentences, phrases, words, quotes etc and was very weird to watch, and sometimes even hard to focus in on. I was watching this for ten minutes and I cannot recall seeing any block of text twice so it got me thinking of how they created it [I use they as I enquired as to who constructed it but the bar staff didnt' know]. I got thinking about interaction and that it could be controlled by users inputting text from an external source, such as the internet or mobile phones and it would become displayed up on the projection. Was I correct in thinking this? Who knows....

All in all a rater eventful evening, even if I didnt agree with the fact I had too many maltesers in my hot chocolate!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home